onsdag 8. oktober 2008

Galapagos 29.9-4.10 - Learning spanish II
















Top left-right and down:
Marine Iguana and his friend, Lobo Marine, Male Fregattbird.
Blue-footed Boobie, Giant Turtoise eating grass, mmm!
I went to Galapagos as a part of my spanish program. The second week of spanish was alot different from the first week in Quito. Here it was 4 hours of loose classes, trying to make conversations and more gramatics and the rest of the day was for excursions. And finally the weather was more like summer after a cold 1,5 week in Quito. I got to se heaps of turtles, both in the wild and in breeding stations. They are just incredably large. Because of their isolations from mammal predators, the animals on the islands don´t fear us humans. Their behavior is remarkably different to other places. The fregattbirds are another facinating animal here. They survive by pirating other birds catches. Basically stealing others food, since they can not dive into the water themselves. The Marine Iguanas were funny, the have to sneeze out their saltwater all the time when they are on land. You almost step on them because of their camouflaged bodies.

Sadly I had to keep to my room for a whole day, since I had my first encounter with stomachsickness on my trip. I guess it´s part of the whole experience to get sick a few times like this. After all, I have to risk something if I want to try different kinds of local food. But I´ll be more careful with the tapwater now...

The sickness was a setback for my spanish, so I didn´t learn as much as the first week. But still I can enough to make some easy conversations, although mostly using only present.

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

The biologist in me envy you! ENVY I SAY!

EirikSS sa...

Syk eller ikke, jon-olav, jeg blir skikkelig misunnelig av å lese alt dette! Veldig fint å høre at alt går så bra:)

Barabas sa...

Dude, jeg vil også til Galapagos. Hvor mange riksdaler koster flyet?

Jon-Olav sa...

Aner ikke hvor mye flyet koster Thomas, jeg hadde det som en pakke med spanskkurs og greier. Men etter det jeg har hoert koster det flesk, og det flesket skal ikke vaerra harskt:)